Want to clear iPhone app cache without deleting the app? We have got your back. This article will walk you through the four quick methods to clear the app cache with and without deleting the app! So, stick around with us until the end of this article.
What does clearing app cache mean? Clearing an app’s cache means emptying the temporary files stored by that particular application.
This improves the efficiency and performance of the app and resolves any bugs or difficulties it may be experiencing.
Additionally, it will make room on your phone so that you won’t run out of memory.
You might want to clear app caches on your iPhone for one of these two reasons: either an app on your phone is malfunctioning or your device is running out of space or is running slow.
When this happens, most people assume the best solution is to delete the app’s caches by uninstalling the app.
Unfortunately, that solution just makes things worse, so they would be back to where they started – they would lose all of their app data and there is no guarantee that everything would be fixed.
If you have ever deleted an app just to realize that you needed it, then you know what we mean.
Fortunately, there are alternative ways to delete app cache data on your iPhone without needing to delete an app.
But before moving on to the methods to delete caches, you should first know the benefits of doing so.
What are the benefits of clearing app cache without deleting app?
There are a few benefits of clearing an app cache without deleting the app.
- One, it can help clear up some storage space on your device.
- Two, if an app is acting up, clearing its cache may help fix the issue.
- Three, it can help speed up your device if it’s running slowly.
- Four, you won’t lose any data or progress in the app by clearing its cache.
- Five, it’s a relatively quick and easy process.
- Six, it doesn’t require any special skills or knowledge.
- Seven, it’s a good way to troubleshoot problems with apps without having to delete them and start from scratch.
How to clear iPhone app cache without deleting app?
There are four quick ways to delete app caches on iPhone without needing to delete your app. So, let us get started;
Method1# (For iPhone running iOS 13 or later):
The first method is only compatible with iPhones running iOS 13 or later. If you have an older version of iOS, please refer to Method2.
If your device is running iOS 13 or later, follow the steps given below:
- The first step is to go to your home screen and select Settings.
- Once you’re there, scroll down until you find the General tab and tap on it.
- In the General section, scroll down and tap on iPhone Storage.
- On the next screen, you’ll see a list of all the apps installed on your device and how much storage space they’re taking up.
- Scroll down and Find the app that you want to clear the cache for and tap on it.
- Once you do that, you’ll now see how much document & data the app has stored on your device.
- Tap OFFLOAD APP: A final way to clear your app cache is by tapping offload app. This will free up storage space on your device used by the app. However, your app data and documents will be saved so you won’t lose any progress.
- After you reinstall the app from the Apple Store, you can keep using it as before, because the app data will still be saved. Confirm by tapping Offload App again when prompted.
You Might Also Like: How clear cookies on iPhone?
Method2# (For iPhone XR or iPhone running iOS 12 or earlier)
For iPhone XR or devices running iOS 12 or below, the steps to clear app caches are slightly different, but they are also straightforward.
- Firstly, go to your home screen, and select Settings.
- Scroll down to the bottom, and select an app. For example, we are choosing T-Mobile.
- You can clear the cache by turning ON the CLEAR APP CACHE ON NEXT LAUNCH toggle on the next screen.
- After that, the cache data will be deleted.
Recommended Post: How to enable cookies on iPhone 7/8/XR/11/12/13.
Method3# Force-stop app to start from scratch:
In the event you cannot find the clear app cache option in the settings on your iPhone, this method is for you.
Force-stopping an app and restarting it is the only other option available to get the intended task done. Once you do that, the next time you open the app, it will start to reload with new data. Follow these steps to accomplish this;
- Double tap the home button to access the app switcher.
- If you don’t have a device with the home button, swipe up from the bottom of the screen to access the app switcher.
- By swiping left to right or vice versa, find your selected app to clear its cache.
- To close an app, swipe upwards from the center of the screen.
Method4# Using third-pary apps:
You can also use a third-party app to clear cache from individual apps without having to delete them entirely from your device if none of the above methods worked for you.
From there, you can simply select and delete the caches for specific apps such as WhatsApp or Facebook Messenger by navigating to the var/mobile/Library/Caches folder.
Just remember that these types of methods will not work if iOS restricts the files from being deleted remotely – so it’s important to check first by downloading an app like PhoneCleaner which will show you whether or not it is possible.
These apps are easy to use and work in all iOS versions. They can also be used if you have no access to iTunes or iCloud backups and want to delete some app cache data.
On one hand, it allows you to remove private data without deleting any of your apps.
And on the other hand, you can also backup some specific files from an app like WhatsApp or game center and restore them when needed later on.
Shoud I delete app on iPhone to clear its cache?
You might be wondering if you should delete an app to clear its cache. The shortest answer to this question is No!
You don’t need to delete an app to clear its cache until you are able to do so using one of the methods outlined above.
The two disadvantages of deleting apps for clearing caches are that:
- It deletes your data and resets settings in the process, and
- It clears all other cached information on your phone as well.
- You need to reinstall the app and start from scratch.
You should delete your app to clear its cache only if you have no other option available. If none of the other options work and you are sure that deleting the app is the last resort to clear the caches, go for it;
- Go to the iPhone home screen.
- Find the app that you want to delete, then tap and hold it until it starts to jiggle.
- Tap the X/Remove icon next to the name of the app.
- Confirm the deletion by tapping delete again.
- Now go to the Apple store and download the most recent version
This concludes our post on how to clear iPhone app cache without deleting the app. We hope that these steps were easy to follow and that they were able to resolve any issues you might have had with clearing out these useless files from your phone!
If, the methods outlined in this post have been not helpful for you, please comment below with your questions or concerns, and we will try our best to help!